Thursday, September 23, 2010

Been a while, but I am back

Time moves on and people do too. Some times they come back.

In the past year, I shed the PR skin that I'd worn for 10 years and took on a new role in the learning and development community working with a company that does sales training for executives and managers at technology companies. I still have a communications role, but I also do a lot of tech work and serve a Guy Friday for special projects. Life changes and you either adapt or declare bankruptcy.


In the short time that I have stepped away from the full time grind of PR, the industry has been transformed, contracted and expanded by social media. A wild ride, and change that came a faster and bigger clip than the introduction of Web 1.0.


It's like I've gone away to college and come home after a year only to find out that my parents moved to a hipper, more sophisticated part of town. There's is no need to waste your time by detailing the changes here, there are better forums for that, might I suggest all of the good work that is coming out of #444pr.

So, now that the neighborhood has changed and I am no longer a full-time resident, what does that mean for this blog? I'm not sure. At a minimum, it will likely reflect my new emphasis on sales training, but I think it's also going to look at two other passions: social media and the changing nature of work.


The last I think is a biggie. Official unemployment hovers around 10 percent in this country, and the number of people who have given up or are underemployed is considerably higher.

Before the downturn became a meltdown, a friend said what he feared was that we would not be able to create jobs for all of the unemployed. Technology has rendered many positions obsolete. And as the cultural barriers to off-shoring recede, more and more professional jobs will be sourced through international competition.


In the next five years, what we think of work, and thus what we think of ourselves will change as much as PR has changed in the last two years. And to paraphase Bette Davis, "Fasten your seltbelt, it's going to be a bumpy road."

Surviving the next five years will require two things: shock absorbers (cash) and a map (insight).

No comments:

Follow me on Twitter @anthonyloftis